Entry 5 - Furry Friends: My Love for Dogs
Do you happen to be someone who is missing out on owning a dog? Yes? Well, I have another question for you. Why would you do that to yourself? Dogs are such great companions to have. There are millions of different breeds to choose from, so finding the one for you shouldn't be hard at all! Owning a dog may not be suitable for everyone, but there are numerous benefits you could enjoy if you ever decide to change your mind!
Being a dog owner is a very common thing in the United States. Nearly 50% of all households across the country have at least one dog. The current household dog population in the U.S is estimated at 89 million. Now that's a lot of furry friends out there! On the other hand, there are about 3.3 million dogs in shelters every year. While some of these dogs eventually get adopted, the ones who don't are needlessly killed. Wouldn't it make you feel good to know that you were the one who saved a life, AND made a new friend at the same time?
There are many pros and cons of owning a dog, but I'm only going to discuss a few of them. The pros: dogs are loyal, they can help you overcome mental health issues, they can aid disabled people, and they can be your best friend. The cons: dogs can be expensive, you will have to clean up after them, they can be time consuming, and losing them will be hard to deal with. In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons because there aren't many other companions out there that show the same amount of love and affection that dogs do.
I currently own 2 dogs. I have a Pitbull/lab mix named Coco, who is a girl, and I have a purebred Maltese named Noodles, who is a boy. Coco is the first dog that I've raised since she was a puppy. I've had her since I was in the 5th grade. Her 10th birthday is next year in February, but you wouldn't think she is that old because she still acts just like a puppy. Noodles was a gift to me from my sister, who at one point was breeding her dogs. He is currently 1 years old, so he is still basically a puppy. He was the smallest one out of his liter. His brother and sister weigh 11 pounds, while he only weighs 8. Coco and Noodles get along very well. They love playing fetch, going on walks, and learning new tricks together. They make me so happy, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.
^Noodles and Coco^
Being a dog owner surely comes with it's challenges, but overall I think it is worth considering. Having a companion that you can raise like your own child definitely gives you that fulfilled feeling. On top of that, you could also potentially save a life!.
.jpg)

.jpg)
I find it extraordinary that you have two dogs, and it makes me wish I could have dogs as pets. Unfortunately, I am allergic to some dogs, but I hope to get a dog when I eventually move out. What would you suggest as a first-time dog owner to get?
ReplyDeleteAs someone who also owns dogs, I can agree completely with the pros you have listed. Another one could be the accomplished feeling that comes from teaching them something. It's very rewarding to work with them and see the moment they start to understand what you're teaching them.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot another con: They always want to play when you don't. And vice versa. It's quite annoying. Overall though, dogs are alright. I guess. In a few ways.
ReplyDelete