Entry 2 - Running the Extra Mile: A Journey through Track and Field
Growing up, I always had a passion to run. If I was at the park, I was running around with my friends playing freeze tag. If I was playing a sport, I always played the position that involved the most running. In football, I played wide receiver; and when I played baseball, my favorite thing to do was hit the ball and start taking off towards each base. I feel like you're starting to understand what I'm getting at. When high school came around, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to join the school track and field team.
Joining this sport was such a no brainer, not only because of my passion for running, but I also knew I would develop new skills, become more disciplined, and learn to block out the noise. On top of this, there are so many different events you can participate in, so if I ended up not wanting to run, I didn't have to. Track and field is split up into two different type of main events. You have track events, which consist of sprinting, long distance, and relays; then you have field events, where you can compete in jumping and throwing. The events that I enjoy the most are the 400 meter dash and the long jump. I found these to be the best for me because I am on the taller side, allowing me to have a longer stride. The way your body is built will be a huge determining factor for the event you will participate in.
Before you participate in this sport, you need to make sure you have the right equipment. Track spikes are the shoes that runners use. They have spikes at the bottom of them that help grip the track turf, which helps you maintain a fast but steady pace. Baggy clothing is not recommended, as it may get caught in the wind and slow you down. You should also be running with proper form. This includes keeping your body slightly slanted forward, head down, chest up, and bringing your knees up. Proper form allows you to look and feel your best, while minimizing your chances of getting injured.
Whichever event you decide to choose, make sure you go into it with your best possible mindset. Always remind yourself that you are a human, and mistake are inevitable. Do your best everyday to make yourself better, and do not give up on yourself just because something didn't go your way a couple of times. I wish you the best of luck if you ever decide to embark on a track and field journey of your own!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Trey--Your blog is looking really good so far. Engaging layout and format. Clear voice and authentic tone. Personable and thoughtful. Interesting topics and content. Keep developing and analyzing and connecting to your audience. Good work! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteNice work, it was easy to read flowed well. i also appreciated the detail for proper form and why it is important. I do not participate in the sport but your writing was engaging, it really does show your passion for the sport.
ReplyDelete